Friday 23 January 2009

Au Revoir Apartment....

i dont often fiddle around with the look and layout of the diary mainly because i have no idea how to change my wallpaper, insert my widgets or upload my flickr books so it was with some ceremony and much reluctance that today i clicked on layout and deleted one of the most significant sidebars of my vita nuova...

yes the observant among you might have noticed that the link to Apartment, my alma mater and kindly mentors for far longer than my actual residency, has finally disappeared. the recent events and installation at the gallery were a retrospective of sorts, a celebration of my year holed up in the cosy domestic space that is the cheeky nerve centre of creative brunswick. the show was extended 'by popular demand' (just who were you, i wonder...thanks for visiting, hope it was worth the trek!!) to 16 january but a lady never outstays her welcome and its already the 23rd with a new and exciting show in the pipeline so today i did the decent thing, packed up and metaphorically said ta-ta.

this deletion of course might mark the end of my official association with Apartment but not of our beautiful friendship or my abiding interest in their practice and i look forward to the unveiling of their new show with much anticipation.

so, like some tearful but not too gushing bafta winner, i should like to take this opportunity to say a few words to mark the occasion:

thank you Apartment for harbouring this peculiar experiment in creative/ theoretical /cultural writing and for guiding me safely through the choppy seas of the contemporary art world. at the moment it feels rather as if i have been left to drift on a flimsy raft of my own inadequacies or a child attempting those first difficult wobbles on a bicycle without the stabilisers, but soon i hope i shall sail triumphantly towards new horizons and adventures, all the better for the lessons learned at apartments little desk and in the company of such inspired and inspiring souls as hilary and paul and all the coterie of the brunswick collective!

its been a pleasure and a privilege but lest we forget, its not goodbye its only au revoir...

No comments: